What Are Your Unwed Fathers Rights In Georgia

Unwed Fathers Rights In Georgia - Unwed Fathers Rights GA

This article is covering everything you need to know about unwed fathers rights in Georgia. 

But more importantly, how you can get unwed fathers rights in Georgia. 

Let’s dig in.

Custody can be devastating. It’s heartbreaking when parents lose custody of their children. Spouses end up having to pay agonizing amounts of financial support.

If you want to protect your rights, not wrongfully lose custody, and not get raked over the coals financially, fill out the form below. Free consultations are first come first serve. We always run out of slots. Make sure you get yours locked in now.

Get A FREE Consultation!
We run out of free consultations every month. Sign up to make sure you get your free consultation. (Free $350 value.)

Unwed Fathers Rights In Georgia

An unwed father’s rights in Georgia are non-existent. 

The Georgia custody laws for unmarried parents give the mother full legal custody.

To gain any father’s rights in Georgia, the unwed father must:

  • establish paternity, and;
  • legitimize the child 

The first step to gain unwed father’s rights in Georgia is to file for paternity. 

After the father establishes paternity, he still does not have any parental rights in Georgia.

But he will still owe child support even though he has zero visitation or child custody rights in Georgia.

Unmarried mothers have full legal and physical custody.

But an unwed father who has NOT established paternity does not owe any child support.

But if the unwed father has established paternity, then he does owe child support.

Paying child support does not give unwed fathers rights in Georgia

He will have to legitimize the child to have the ABILITY to file for custody and visitation.

How To Establish Paternity

Again, the first step to gaining unwed father’s rights in Georgia is to establish paternity.

When an unwed father establishes paternity, it legally formalizes the relationship between him and the child.

For an unwed father to establish paternity in Georgia, an unwed father can:

  • sign a Paternity Acknowledgement form at the hospital
  • file a petition to establish paternity with the courts
  • have a DNA test done on the father, mother, and child 

Related: If There Is No Custody Order In Place Can I Take My Child?

Legitimation In Georgia

The second step to gaining unwed father’s rights in Georgia is to legitimize the child.

Legitimation is how an unwed father can establish legal rights to his child.

To establish legitimation, an unwed father needs to file a petition for legitimation.

The petition for legitimation can include claims for visitation and custody.

But a mother can contest a legitimation in Georgia.

Her grounds to contest a legitimation can be:

  • the man is not the biological father
  • the father is unfit to have custody or visitation 

Related: Grounds for Full Custody of Child

How To Get Unwed Fathers Rights In Georgia

If you want the best custody attorneys to represent you, fill out the form below.

We have the experience needed to ensure that your rights are protected.

This means that you don’t wrongfully lose custody of your children.

We also make sure that your custody judgment is equitable and fair.

This means you don’t get raked over the coals financially.

After you fill out the form below, we will set up your free consultation.

Talk soon.

Get Your FREE Consultation!
Get access to our attorneys with a FREE consultation ($397 value).
Share This Post With Someone Who Needs To See It